The game I created in seven days is done! Battlefriends, as it's called, is launched. You can even play it right now. To get you excited, here's a screenshot of what a typical profile (mine) looks like early in the game:
Since it's finished already, here are some tips and tricks that I discovered along the way.
When to Use the Open Graph API
How to Use FBML
Facebook Doesn't Like Transparent PNG's
You need both a 75x75 logo, and a 16x16 favicon to upload to Facebook. I discovered that if you try to use a PNG with alpha channel transparency, then Facebook automatically converts it to a GIF, which obviously has only binary transparency: a pixel is transparent or not. They control the threshold, and in every case it was set at something that made my images look horrible. I have no idea why they don't just keep the image the way it is. This conversion seems like more work on their part for a negative gain. In any case, do yourself a favor and convert it to a GIF yourself before uploading, so that you can control the threshold.
When making a game, actually playing it is really important. This may seem incredibly obvious, but going through the flows solo or with a robotic competitor is nothing like playing against a real live human being. You have to test the game with other people. They will do unexpected things in unexpected ways, and generally muck up your system. Doing this before exposing the game to a wider audience will probably catch most of the pain points other users might encounter.
Now that this mini-project is playable, it's back to work on the tower defense game for the Xbox. This was a nice distraction for a while, but I think putting a time limit on it is a good thing. There's still so much to do for our first console game!